Here are some of the most common questions regarding tape hair extensions that we receive. Following this guide, will prolong the life of your hair extensions significantly.
Do they rip out your hair?
Regardless to what you might hear about tape in extensions, they do no ruin your hair. The problem with hair extensions always occurs when it has to do with the application, caring for them and the take out procedure.
– When applying tape hair extensions you need to be patient and neat! Make sure you part the hair neatly so there are no stray hairs.
– when you brush the hair do it carefully so you do not pull on the glue in wefts causing breakage to the hair.
– Always comb the hair before getting into the shower starting from the bottom – working your way up to the root. Use a bit of shampoo on your root, then condition using conditioner only for your ends. By applying conditioner to your root, you run the chance of loosening the bond.
– Most important is the take out procedure. Make sure you have all the things needed to take out the hair properly. Do not loose patience and start pulling and tugging at the hair extensions.
– Take out the hair and redo the extensions every 6-8 weeks. If they are kept in too long this may cause filtering of your natural hair.
How long does your hair need to be to get tape extensions?
Your hair ideally should be 5 inches or longer. However if you use a lot of extensions hair the hair can be shorter, and still look natural.
How do I sleep with my tape extensions?
When going to bed at night preferably wrap your hair in a bun or, better yet, braid your hair. It can also be a very good idea to wrap your hair in a silk scarf or sleep on a silk/satin pillow.
Swimming with tape hair extensions
When going swimming apply a little conditioner to your wet or dry hair to protect and condition the hair from the harsh salt-water/chlorine. Always wear your hair in a braid while swimming playing sports, always tie your hair in a loose ponytail or braid – This will prevent tangling and salt water / chlorine dry out. Rinse as soon as you are able to or wash and condition ends right away.